need help?

welcome to The City of Lyons

take a tour
Inner Background

Licenses and Permits

Solicitation Permits
Solicitation Permits are required for non stationary businesses in Lyons
Submit a Solicitation License Application to the City Clerk's Office before soliciting or selling door-to-door. For more information contact the City Clerk's Office at (620) 257-2320 or visit City Hall, Located at 201 West Main

Compost Permits
The Lyons Compost Facility requires a permit for use of the composting services. The City Clerk’s Office will issue yearly permits to city residents and lawn care businesses.
  • $5.00 for residents
  • $25.00 for lawn care businesses or other commercial ventures
  • $10/ cubic yard for non-residents wishing to use the facility

Dog Licenses
City Ordinance requires dogs to be licensed. Dog owners should get a license within 30 days of:
  • Acquiring a dog that is over four months old
  • The dog turning four months old
  • Moving into the City with the dog
  • The expiration of a pet license

Fees are $5.00 for neutered/spayed animals, $20.00 for non-neutered/non-spayed animals and late fees apply for tags purchased after 31 March 2017

Cereal Malt Beverage and Alcohol Occupational Tax
Rice County is a dry county and requires a permit for clubs and liquor stores. This license is required for both retail sellers and businesses/restaurants wishing to serve alcohol. For more information on registering with the Alcoholic Beverage Control Department of the Kansas Department of Revenue. This Link will take you to the Kansas Liquor License Application and Instructions.

It is required to have a Fireworks Permit for Firework Stands or Firework Displays

Utility Account Applications
A Utility Account application is available in the City Clerks Office for process and disconnects. You can also download a Utility Service Application.

Landlords: If you wish to find out more about how the city handles Utility Billing for Landlords, please contact the City Clerk at (620) 257-2320.

Solid Waste Disposal
Resolution No. 6-2010 requires a disposal permit for the disposal of solid waste, including construction and demolition materials, at locations other than the rice county landfill.

Contractors License
The Lyons City Code requires any person presently working as or desiring to work in the electrical, plumbing, or mechanical heating and air conditioning installation field shall obtain a license.

All licensed contractors must provide a certificate of liability insurance in the amount of $100,000 single combined limit, bodily injury, and personal property damage covering each occurrence or aggregate. This insurance coverage must be $100,000 for each license. You can download a Contractors License application here.

Contractor License Fee by Field New Renewal
Mechanical $100  $25 
Plumbing $100 $25
Electrical $100 $25
Occupational License License Fee New Renewal
Master $100  $25
Journeyman $100 $25
Apprentice $100 $25
-- If an individual is licensing as a journeyman or apprentice they are required to work under a Licensed Master

All Others
For any additional license or permit related fees or inquiries, please refer to the City of Lyons Fee Structure or simply come to City Hall at 201 West Main.

alerts + notifications